Some of the content in this topic may not be applicable to some languages. You can count the number of words for an entire document or for a selection of text in the document. You can also count the number of paragraphs, lines, and characters.
- To count words in selected text only, select the text you want.
- If you don’t select any text, Microsoft Word counts the words in the whole document.
- On the Tools menu, click Word Count.
- Word displays counts for words, paragraphs, lines, and characters.
- To add or remove footnotes and endnotes from the count, select or clear the Include footnotes and endnotes check box